ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY 2020-2040 & ACTION PLAN 2020-2025
The final Economic Development Strategy 2020-2040 and Action Plan 2020-2025 has been completed following an extensive process including:
Phase 1: Economic Analysis and Research; presented to Council and Community 28 May 2020 Ordinary Council meeting with a plan on how Phase 2 could be executed.
Phase 2: Community and Stakeholder Consultation; presented to Council 24 September 2020 with a Community Consultation Summary Report following the public exhibition period
Phase 3: Strategy Development and Delivery; and Phase 4: Action Plan Development and Delivery:
1. Presented to Council the draft PLACE Strategy 2020-2040 and PLACE Action Plan for public exhibition 17 December 2020
2. Conducted further Community Consultation on the draft plans for an extended period of time until 12 February 2021
3. Presented the final Economic Development Strategy 2020-2040 and Action Plan 2020-2025 at the 25 March Ordinary Council meeting
"Our place grows from the people that live within it. We celebrate and honour our shared Indigenous and European history and traditions. We connect, engage, nurture and motivate each other for mutual prosperity to create a vibrant and close-knit community that welcomes new people.”
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
The Glen Innes Highlands Economic Development Strategy provides a clear pathway for Council and Community foster local socio-economic prosperity and growth through the four key pillars of Partnerships, People, Place, and Prosperity. These four pillars provide a whole-of-place mechanism to deliver a place-based approach to local economic development.
KEY GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- DIVERSIFICATION & SPECIALISATION - We seek to diversify our local economy by diversifying our dominant industries and supporting specialist industry growth.
- SUSTAINABILITY - We seek to sustain our local economy for future generations to ensure their wellbeing and prosperity.
- CLIMATE PROTECTION - Our majority believe the science of climate change and seek to ensure that our impacts are reduced, renewable energy solutions are embraced and utilsied and strive to be 100% renewable.
- INNOVATION - We seek to not only embrace innovation and leverage digital connection but to create it with no fear of failure.
- COLLABORATION - We believe that Economic Development is everyone's responsibility and that the village can raise the best outcomes just like it can raise a child.
- LIVABILITY - We make every decision based on the benefit to the community first, and the benefit to visitors second, because we live here.
- NURTURE - Collectively and individually we nurture our next generation to leverage the legacy whilst evolving towards an even better future with respect of new ideas, ways and means.
- LOCAL PRIDE - We celebrate our town, villages and hamlets with reflective appreciation of our lifestyle and healthy way of connecting through our lives.
Economic Development newsletter
Sign up to receive the Econoimic Development newsletter - https://gleninneshighlands.com/invest.html
Register for the GROW Glen Innes THINK TANK
GROW Glen Innes Think Tank participants are a collection of people who are interested in collaborating with Council to provide their experience, education and ideas across key elements of the Economic Development Action Plan.
Whist Council will facilitate the set-up of the GROW Glen Innes Think Tank it it will not be a formal Committee of Council so as to allow greater flexibility. This is a mechanism for continual community engagement and inclusion in the delivery of the Economic Development Strategy & Action Plan.
Council’s Manager Economic Development will facilitate the registration process and utilise the registration information to invite members to participate in workshops and other events.
THE GLEN INNES HIGHLANDS BRAND
Visit, Live and Invest in Glen Innes Highlands
Glen Innes Highlands is Council's Destination and Economic Develoapment brand for the Glen Innes Severn Area. In Glen Innes Highlands we are committed and supportive of new ideas, industries and opportunities that contribute towards our local and regional economy. For a region rich in heritage we are continuing to attract a broad range of businesses and investors leveraging and capitalising on our endowments. We’re strategically located, at the intersection of two major highways, the New England and Gwydir, just four and a half hours’ drive from Brisbane, three and half from Ballina, the Gold Coast and Toowoomba (with its international airfreight hub) and two and a half to Tamworth. Sydney is approximately seven hours.
Glen Innes Severn Council’s philosophy is embracing change, building on history – we work with new and existing businesses to facilitate the ideal solution for their business needs.
Go to the Glen Innes Highlands website here
View our Current Economic Development Strategies here
View our Future Planning, approach to Economic Development and current projects here
Download the Glen Innes Highlands Brand Guidelines
Download the Glen Innes Highlands Campaign Guideilnes
Supporting and promoting local events
There are many ways council support our local community events:
- Display your event flyers at the Glen Innes Visitor Information Centre
- Promotion of your event through the Glen Innes Highlands website and social media platforms
- Register your event through the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW) and add your event listing. Your event will then be promoted on the gleninneshighlands.com events calendar and other major tourism websites. Find out more here https://gleninneshighlands.com/event-support.html
- Speak with our dedicated Tourism and Events Officer – Rhonda, your contact into council for all event inquiries, hiring a council venue, traffic management plan, event funding opportunities and other free promotional opportunities. Make an appointment: Rhonda Bombell - email: email@example.com or phone: 02 6730 2408.
Glen Innes Highlands newsletter
Sign up to receive the Glen Innes Highlands newsletter - https://gleninneshighlands.com/subscribe.html