Lifeline has launched 13 HELP, a dedicated 24/7 phoneline to provide support to people who have been affected by bush fires. Crisis Supporters on 13 HELP will provide support that is specific to the effects of the bush fire and referrals to services available in the individual caller’s local community.
13 HELP (13 43 57) is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This Bush fire response line will operate separately from Lifeline's traditional service delivery and support service available on Ph:13 11 14.



DPI Assistance Guide - Natural Disaster Assistance Guide for Primary Producers


Fire Information

For up to date local information on fires, please go to Fires Near Me.

For information on Disaster Declarations and Disaster Relief and Support, visit the NSW Disaster Recovery Page.


Rural Fire Service

RFS website link:

RFS Bush Fire Information Line: 1800 679 737 (1800 NSW RFS) 

If you cannot find the information you require on the website you can call the above number. The information available by calling this number includes Total Fire Bans, major incident activity, advice on protecting property and other fire related safety information. 


Road Conditions for Northern NSW


Other Assistance:

Blaze Aid - a volunteer-based organisation that works with families and individuals in rural Australia after natural disasters such as fires and floods

Wires - 1300 094 737 or (02) 6778 4994 - New England Branch

Local Land Services - 1300 795 299

Essential Energy - 13 20 80

Salvation Army (Glen Innes) - (02) 6732 2542

St Vincent de Paul (Glen Innes) - (02) 6732 1362

The NSW Government’s Agricultural Services Hotline 1800 814 647 has been set up to assist farmers concerned about their animals and livestock.  If landholders are in need of emergency fodder, veterinary assistance or care for animals in evacuation centres they can call this number and speak to NSW Department of Primary Industries staff.

For further information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.  To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 596 or visit

HealthWISE Mental Health Services is currently providing services in multiple towns in the New England area including Glen Innes.  Please complete the Mental Health Self-Referral Form - Bush Fires and return it to HealthWISE if you require any support.


Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW can give you free legal advice if you are affected by storms, floods, or bushfires in New South Wales. For example, we can help if:

  • your home has been damaged by floods or fire (help is available to both owner and tenant)
  • you have insurance or repair problems
  • your job has been affected by the floods or fires
  • you need help renegotiating credit commitments due to loss of income from the disaster

What you should do - insurance claims

The insurance claims process can be tricky. Remember that you always have a right to lodge a claim and also to have your refused claim reviewed internally or independently at the Financial Ombudsman Service - your rights exist even where your insurer doesn't agree with you.

So it's a good idea to lodge an insurance claim even if you are unsure about the cover.

  • Keep a record of damage - take photos and videos where possible.
  • Carefully check the wording of their insurance policy and, if in doubt, get legal advice before speaking to claims assessors, who usually visit on site.
  • Make sure that premiums have been paid in full, or are up to date, before lodging any claim because premium shortfalls may affect payment.

Your home insurance policy may cover the costs of your temporary accommodation if you can no longer live in your home. Check with your insurer as early as possible.

If your insurer doesn’t agree with you about your claim, ask them to put their refusal in writing to you with reasons. You should get legal advice if you are unsure about your cover.

Contact us

People affected by natural disaster can contact LawAccess NSW’s dedicated Disaster Response Hotline 1800 801 529, visit our closest Legal Aid office, or contact the Insurance Law Service.