Food Safety

Food and Drink Premises

Glen Innes Severn Council employs Environmental Health Officers, who monitor food safety within the Local Government Area (LGA).

Activities undertaken by these officers include:

  •      Monitoring and inspecting food and drink establishments;
  •      Educating food shop owners;
  •      Promoting safe and hygienic food practices;
  •      Assessing new food shop proposals and extensions to existing food shops;
  •      Investigating food poisoning and unsafe practices; and
  •      Enforcing and prosecuting serious breaches of misconduct.

Before any new Food Premises opens, the applicant must organise a meeting with a Council Environmental Health Officer to discuss requirements including:

  •      Registration with Council and if applicable any NSW Food Authority Licensing requirements;
  •      Compliance with the Food Act 2003;
  •      The Food Regulation 2015; and
  •      The Food Standards Code.

Opening a food shop may be subject to Council Development Approval.


Notification of Food and Drink Premises

All food businesses must be registered with Council prior to operating within the Glen Innes Severn Council Local Government Area. This is a requirement under the Food Act 2003 and this information is used to create a Register of all Food Premises in the area.

Penalties apply under the Food Act 2003 for failing to Notify Council of condutcing a food and/or drink premises.

Food Business Registration Form


Food Safety Supervisor

What is a food safety supervisor?

Food Laws in NSW require certain food and drinks premises to have a certified Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) working in their business.

FSS details will be checked as part of Councils annual inspections and applicable businesses that do not have a FSS may receive a Penalty Infringement Notice.

Examples of businesses include restaurants, cafés, takeaway shops, caterers, bakeries, pubs, clubs, hotels and supermarket's that sell hot ready-to-eat foods.

A Food Safety Supervisor is a person who:

  • is trained to recognise and prevent risks associated with food handling in a retail food business
  • holds a current FSS certificate that is no more than five years, and
  • is not an FSS for any other food premises or any other mobile catering businesses, and
  • can train and supervise other people who handle food to see that it is done safely.

Food Safety Supervisors must be trained in specific units of competency and it must be done at a Registered Training Organisation approved by the NSW Food Authority.  The training can be done face-to-face, online, in the workplace, by correspondence, or a combination of these. A list of approved training providers can be found at here.

For more information read the Guide for Businesses on the Authority’s website, or contact your local council.


Report Unsafe Food Practices

As a consumer it is critical that you can identify poor quality products and food handling.

Avoid and report the following products:

  •      Out of date products;
  •      Pre-opened lids;
  •      Swollen and dented cans;
  •      Stained or mouldy food;
  •      Leaking containers;
  •      Unrefrigerated potentially dangerous foods;
  •      Evidence of Pests;
  •      Unhygienic food handling practices under the Food Standards Code; and
  •      Perished, cracked or broken crockery and glasses.

Further information can be found on the NSW Food Authority Website or contact a Council Environmental Health Officer.


Contact Details

(02) 6730 2350 (ph)

(02) 6732 3634 (fax)