Types of Development

Exempt Development

Development that does not require approval by Glen Innes Severn Council is called Exempt Development.Council determines Exempt Development based upon requirements listed in State Environmental Planning Policy No. 60 - Exempt and Complying Development (SEPP 60) and State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, which is legislation made under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

The Act states that Exempt Development:

  • must have minimal environmental impact
  • cannot be carried out in critical habitat of an endangeered species, population or ecological community (identified under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 or the Fisheries management Act 1994)
  • cannot be carried out in a wilderness area (idenitified under the Wilderness Act 1987)

Note: Exemptions are also subject to Council's Local Environment Plan and proposal specific, various Council Development Control Plans and Policies.

Examples of Exempt Development may include:

  • Minor dwelling repairs, minor internal alterations, minor outdoor structures and some forms of fencing
  • Playground equipment
  • Rural use structures
  • Minor landscaping

If you think your proposed works may be Exempt Development, it is highly recommened that you contact Councils Building Surveyor or Town Planner to confirm the exemption, or to clarify requirements for your proposal.

No application form is required.