- Ensure a cohesive, united level of governance that provides customer service excellence;
- Network and market economic development opportunities targeting business expansion/relocation and residential relocation;
- Maintain and enhance public open spaces for recreation to enhance the lifestyles of residents and visitors;
- Continue to provide an effective and sustainable community service role both within Council and the region;
- Provide ongoing support to the Australian Celtic Festival and assistance to other community and cultural events;
- Support tourism development, destination marketing, industry co-operation and expansion alighned with consumer trends;
- Development of the Glen Innes Regional Saleyards Business Plan and associated redevelopment proposals.
Major challenges related to Economic Development include:
- Significant population loss of young people aged between 18 to 35;
- Provision of adequate facilities for an ageing population;
- Lack of funding for upgrading road infrastructure;
- Providing the emerging technology and infrastructure e.g. broadband services needed for creative employment opportunities;
- Promoting Glen Innes as a centre with a lifelong learning culture and providing new initiatives for engaging community talent, skills and participation.
Council has updated its Economic Development Strategy, with input from interested residents and other stakeholders, including Regional Development Australia – Northern Inland and Industry and Investment NSW - State and Regional Development and Tourism. For more information about the development of this strategy, please contact Graham Price on 6730 2365.